finben men

I have never made gingerbread men before. At least, I have no memory of doing so, so if I ever have, it was a long long time ago.

The other day at school, the teacher was reading the children the story, 'you can't catch me!' about the gingerbread man, and I thought, 'aha! A perfect baking opportunity! We can make some of our own!' I knew the teacher would be down with this as she has previously said to me, 'as you seem to like baking, why don't you think of some things we can bake with the children?' What a wonderful offer.

So, yesterday I did a trial run. They're pretty tasty, I have to say, with a lovely texture to them too. The recipe itself was not well written and did not state that the dough would need chilling time.

I had started making the little men shortly before I was due to go to a friend's for a movie night. I was a little sad at the prospect of not getting to finish the gingerbread men off right away, so rather than leave them chilling to the max in the fridge overnight, I wrapped them in cling film and popped the dough into my handbag, along with a cutter, and set off for my friend's house. I had a little chuckle to myself about how this was a slightly odd thing to do, but hey ho, it's fun. You should try it sometime. Make up some dough - bread / cookie / biscuit - any kind - pop it into your bag & take it to a friends' to finish off and share the baking fun.

Here is one of the finished little men...


(The reason for the title of the post is that when I worked in a bakery, the manageress' youngest son used to call gingerbread men 'finben men' when he was a toddler, so I had that name resounding in my head as I baked these little babies.)

I also baked some banana & date loaf yesterday, just for the fun of it. Oh, and granola too because it has been far too long since my taste buds experienced the delights of my childhood cereal.

Comments

  1. hannah this is such a great idea- baking is much more fun when you can share it with friends!

    oh, and i have been craving banana bread lately.. i need to follow your example & just bake some instead of dreaming about it!

    ps. i finished redeeming love last week! is was truly wonderful. i was sad when the story was over because i didn't have anything to look forward to anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment