i love this city

I have been thinking a lot recently about the little decisions that we make in every day life. Those decisions which are pretty much inconsequential, but actually say something about your character. For instance, today, I had an interview for a course at UWE. My housemate had very kindly left me her car to use, as I need it this evening, so I could have driven to school this morning, then on to UWE, saving myself a 10-mile round trip cycle ride.

To me, the right decision was to cycle. Why? Because it is better all-round. Better for my health, my pocket and the environment. But, it was the hardest decision. Quite frankly, I would have happily driven. But that is because my natural human tendency is to want to do what is easiest for me, to do the thing that is going to be the least amount of work and difficulty.

I know we are only talking about a very minor decision here, but the reality is that it is often the wisest and most beneficial thing to do to make the hard decision, but because you don't see the immediate benefits from it, it is the harder choice. I don't get to see the tiny difference I make to global warming by reducing the amount of CO2 I emit, or what difference cycling makes to my health. Why are we so predisposed to instant gratification? Maybe that's the result of sin. Hmmmm....In the end, I cycled. As a result, I got to meet a very helpful lady when I wasn't 100% sure where I was going, and got to see this beautiful view...


Boiling Wells / St Werburghs City Farm

Comments