rainrainrain

This weekend we have the two oldest daughters of the leader of our church staying at our house. We had a fun filled day planned for them, including a walk to Ashton Pool which I was very excited about - I think I might have blogged about Ashton Pool before - I've only been there once, a few weeks ago, and was so excited to discover a beautiful new, secluded place in Bristol to go for a good old woodland walk. It looked like it would rain, but it was ok because we were fully prepared with wellies and waterproofs. So off we went, having had a yummy brunch.

We were about five minutes away when we encountered a mini flood - a small pond filling the width of the road. Jo's technique of getting through the flood was to accelerate, hold her breath and hope for the best. Needless to say, the consequences were not great. We ended up spending two whole hours waiting for the breakdown people to come.

So no walk at Abbots Pool, but Jo did have her first experience of having to pee in public behind a tree - I am so proud! As I was about to go and do the same, I was standing by the boot of the car, in the throes of putting my wellies on, when the breakdown recovery people rang me. As a result of my slightly hindered focus on what I was doing, I forgot that I was standing by the edge of another big puddle, only to be reminded of this when a big lorry whizzed pass, sending a torrent of water my way - there was enough power behind it to pelt me forward which was quite impressive. I think I felt more sorry for the man at the end of the phone who was greeted by my squealing, than I did for myself. Oh what fun.

By the time we got home it was 3.30 and high time for lunch. Ah yes, and it only took the man 2 minutes to fix the car - all we needed was a cloth, some WD40 and a bit of knowledge about where the water might go when you drive through a pond.

(Image not my own, though I wish I could say it was.)

Comments