connection & ordinary beauty

One of the reasons I take photos is because I feel this deep need to capture the ordinary beauty I see around me every day. I look at this picture of my son and I see the way that his fingers on his left hand are poised, just so, outward signs of the inner concentration it is taking for him to raise his cup. I see his bad haircut and bed head hair, so characteristic of toddlerhood. I see the little tear streak down his left cheek, a feature that he has had since birth, the result of a blocked duct. These are the characteristics that will change without me noticing, and I desperately do not want to forget these early years with my children.
It is so therapeutic for me to see something that takes my breath away, raise my camera and capture it, for now. For the future. For the times I need to look back and remember all the beauty that has been and still is. To just press pause and extend my appreciation of a moment by creating a record of what I see. It is this love of ordinary, beautiful moments, and connections between people that I bring to my sessions with families, and I consider it a true honour to be invited by families to capture those connections.

Comments