The highlight of my weekend was receiving a surprise visit from my parents. Having taken my younger sister to start a new chapter in her life at Liverpool University, they took the opportunity to pop by and see me. Sadly, John wasn't here to see them too, as he as been sent to China again for two weeks.

My Mum & her three sisters have been going through the painful process of clearing their Mum's house of all her belongings, as she is no longer well enough to live independently. As a result of this, I feel very fortunate to have inherited some of my Nanny's beautiful belongings Amongst the items my parents have collected from my grandparents' home, was the wedding dress of a relative of my Mum's whom she knew as Aunt Lucy (although not a direct Aunt). Aunt Lucy had made the dress herself & it was beautifully unconventional for a wedding dress, and would not look out of place if worn at a wedding today - a true vintage. My Mum shares the same slender figure that her Aunt Lucy had, and so she slipped the dress on - I wish I had had my camera to hand so I could show you it.

Among the collection of items I have inherited / adopted from my Nanny was a set of playing cards, carefully stored in a leather case. I love to think of my Nanny & Grandad playing card games, & wonder if either of them was more competitive than the other, or if my Nanny plays games like my Mum, who can't help winning, but tries to avoid doing so, because she would rather someone else had the glory. 




I love that we are never too old to learn something new, even if it is just a little thing. Like learning a clever little trick for cleaning glass that my Mum taught me yesterday while I was cooking lunch & my Dad was playing beautiful tunes on the guitar in the background. By simply pouring some vinegar & a handful of rice into a glass receptacle, and patiently swilling the liquid around, the glass becomes clean & brilliantly shiny! So now, thanks to my Mum, some of our glassware is positively gleaming.
After my parents went home, I spent a quiet few hours collecting leaves, listening to the dulcet tones of Foy Vance, and having a 9pm coffee & chat with my wonderful friend Ros, whom I love as though she were family.

Comments

  1. Wonderful Hannah, you are my Sisterrrrr!!!! In Bristol, in heart, in friendship, in joy, in sorrow, in exercise, in weariness, in cake and in coffeeeeeeee!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment