The 52 Project: 37/52


'A portrait of my children, once a week, every week in 2016.'

Dear Ruby,
For the last few months, you have gradually been dropping your nap, meaning that you only sleep in the day every few days. It is a delicate balance to do enough with you in a day that keeps you awake, but not so much that you get to 4.30pm and physically cannot keep your eyes open. We had a day like that this week. Jude was struggling to fall asleep, so I suggested we go for a walk around the block in the double buggy, and you suggested that we could go to the park. We got halfway to the park, and you had fallen asleep, while Jude lay next to you, wide awake. An hour later, I woke you up, which never goes well (understandably - who wants to be woken up mid-sleep?!), but bedtime becomes very difficult if you have a sleep so late on in the day. You were completely devastated that we hadn't gone to the park and flat out refused to climb out of the buggy. After fifteen minutes of you crying and asking, 'why did you unstrap me? I don't want to get out! I want to go to the park!', I decided to scrap my attempts to cook dinner, put Jude back in the buggy and we went back out in the hope of meeting Daddy as he cycled home from work. We met Daddy and came up with a new plan - he would take Jude and cook dinner while you and I went to the park. And what a wonderful time we had. It was a beautiful evening and you were completely in your element, scaling up ropes to platforms way above my head height. I took this photo of you as you ran across the platform, and smiled as I reflected that sometimes the best thing we can do to cope is abandon all seemingly sensible plans and just get outside in the sunshine.
All my love,
Mummy xxx

Dear Jude,
Summer is fading, and I am truly going to miss this - watching the evening light fall over you as you sleep on my bed. September has only just arrived and I am already noticing how much more quickly the light fades once the evening comes. By this time next year, we will be living in a different house,. While I am looking forward to seeing how the light falls in our new home, I will honestly miss the way the light lands in my bedroom, and how much it has characterised our mornings and evenings in your first four months of life since you joined us in Spring time this year.
All my love,
Mama xxx

Comments