The 52 Project: 28/52

'A portrait of my daughter, once a week, every week in 2016.'

Dear Ruby,
One of the things I like to do with all of your books is rotate the ones in our baskets and our our shelves according to the seasons. My attempts to do this have been mildly thwarted by you, as I keep returning a selection of your Winter books to the shelf. only to have you request these books at bedtime. The one book that has featured most highly this year is called 'Bear Snores On.' Even though this is a book about a hibernating bear, set in the Winter months, I secretly love that you keep asking for it, as I really enjoy reading it. It has such a great rhythm to it and my favourite like is, 'An itty bitty mouse piter-patter tip toes, creep-crawls through the cave through the fluff cold snow.' You have started this routine with Daddy at bedtime when reading where you say, 'I read quietly, you read louder'. then you proceed to provide a whispered accompaniment which is badly out of sync. This makes Daddy giggle and you say, 'you laughing at something - what you laughing 'bout?!' We love you and watching you learn and grown.

Here's a few of my favourite conversations with you from this week:

R: 'What's that banging noise?'
Me: 'It's Daddy making coffee,'
R: I want to make you a coffee.
M: Ooh I'd love that, thank you.
R; I'm going to sprinkle hot sauce on it

While walking along the railway path (finding moths, the smallest snails ever, and beautiful flowers):
You: 'I just need to have some water for my energy. I've got some water in my energy, Mummy.'

Playing in the garden, mixing soil and water together:
'I'm making mud, Mummy. Just normal mud. And soil.'

All my love,
Mummy xxx


 ********************

Dear Jude,
After you were born, I quickly discovered that feeding you is very different to what feeding Ruby was like when she was your age. (I promise you that I will not spend your life comparing you to your sister, but at this age when you are so young, it is fascinating to me to notice the differences between my babies.) She would feed for long periods of time, and my Mum once commented that none of her babies had taken as long to feed as Ruby did. She would without fail fall asleep while feeding, and happily nurse for hours. You, on the other hand, take between five and ten minutes to feed, and you very rarely fall asleep in the 'milk drunk' way that babies often do. If ever I offer you more milk in the hope that it might comfort you when you're fretful, you look at me with an expression which says, 'are you serious, Mum? I have had enough, why would I want more?!' If only I could take the same approach with chocolate as you do with milk.

Grandad came to visit this week (my Dad) and worked wonders at calming you down and helping you sleep. You are very blessed to have four very calm and patient grandparents who will do anything it takes to help you. One evening after you had had your first round of vaccinations and were particularly unsettled, Grandad wrapped you up in the sling and went walking with you. I hope you always know how loved you are by us and your Grandparents.
All my love,
Mama xx




Comments