350g pears, peeled & chopped
350g dessert apples, peeled & chopped
125g unsalted butter
50g light brown sugar (caster sugar is also fine)
140g rolled oats
100g plain flour (I used wholemeal as it is healthier and I love the texture it adds)
100g unsalted butter
100g light muscovado sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1) Pre-heat oven to 190C / 170C fan / gas mark 5
2) Melt 25g butter in a large saucepan and add the chopped pears and apples to the pan, along with the sugar. Cook over a gentle heat until the fruit softens. (This will probably take around 15 mins.) Transfer the cooked fruit to an oven proof dish.
3) For the topping, weigh the oats, flour and cinnamon into a bowl and stir together.
4) Cut the butter into small chunks then add to the bowl and rub together between your fingers until no lumps of butter remain. (Alternatively, you can do this in a food processor. If so, I would recommend pulsing the butter with the flour & cinammon, then stirring in the oats by hand, so you don't chop the oats up.)
5) Stir in the sugar. Sprinkle the topping over the cooked fruit and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 mins until the juices from the fruit start to bubble.
6) Cool slightly before serving with cream, custard, ice cream, or by itself!