Malted chocolate ice cream

A couple of months ago, I bought an ice cream attachment for my kenwood chef. I've shared here already about the flavours we have experimented with so far, and today I'd like to share with you this flavour that I made last week. When I saw this post for malted chocolate ice cream, I knew that I wanted to try it out. I don't have ice cream moulds, but they're definitely not a necessity when making ice cream. They do look pretty enticing though, don't they?!

I made a couple of adjustments to the original recipe, and was quite pleased with how this flavour turned out. I have used chocolate ovaltine a lot in the past in icing recipes, so used this instead of the suggested Horlicks. I also decided to add a couple of whisked egg yolks for richness. I don't tend to mess with baking recipes too much, especially when making something that I am not very familiar with, like ice cream. But, I figured it couldn't go too far wrong, and it think my adaptations worked well. If I make this again, I would add more melted chocolate so that there are more chocolate chunks, because you can never have too many, but you can definitely have not enough. 

Ingredients 
125ml double cream 
375ml whole milk 
60g caster sugar
8 tbsp (approx 120g) chocolate ovaltine powder
1 tbsp creme fraiche or cream cheese
2 tsp good quality vanilla extract

for the chocolate chips:
30g dark chocolate for the drizzle (I would double this)
1 tsp vegetable oil (this helps the chocolate to keep its flavour once frozen)

Method
1) In a small bowl, mix the créme fraîche with a little of the milk to thin it out slightly. 
2) Heat the remaining milk, cream, ovaltine powder and two thirds of the caster sugar in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to being on the verge of boiling - as soon as you see the first sign of bubbles forming around the edge of the pan, remove from the heat. 
3) Whisk the egg yolks with 20g of the sugar until thick and pale in colour
4) Stir in the whisked egg yolks to the milk mixture and continue to stir until the sugar has dissolved. Pour into a jug and place in the fridge to chill. 
5) Once the mixture has cooled completely, churn in your ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions, then pour into a freezeable container. 
6) Melt the remaining chocolate, along with the oil, then drizzle a layer of this onto the ice cream. Place in the freezer for one minute, then remove and use a spoon to break up the chocolate and stir it into the ice cream. Repeat this process until you have used all of the melted chocolate. 

Comments