The 52 Project: 7/52

'A portrait of my daughter, once a week, every week in 2015.'

Dear Ruby,
I took this photo of you on an impromptu walk we went on in Easter Compton. It's only fifteen minutes away from where we live, but I have only recently learned of this little village. On Friday, we went to the local deli to deliver some of my cakes, and you were not at all keen at the idea of going straight back in the car so soon after we had arrived. You love to be outdoors, and so I followed your lead, and we went exploring to delay the car journey home. Much to your delight, we discovered a play park. You let go of my hand and eagerly set off across the muddy grass to try and find the way to the swings. To me, this photo speaks of your independence, your love for the outdoors, your wild hair and your willingness to get muddy knees when it comes to exploration. I am both excited and terrified at the prospect of where these characteristics might lead you over the years, but I am coming to realise that is part and parcel of being a parent and having a precious piece of your heart walking around freely in the world. It is my prayer that I will be able to teach you and guide you without holding you back from wonderful adventures as you grow up. (Remind me to tell you the story of when I went sky diving in New Zealand, and how excited Grandad was about it, when you're wanting to do some adrenaline seeking stunt, and I am freaking out about it!)
All my love,
Mama

Comments