The 52 Project: 3/52

'A portrait of my daughter, once a week, every week in 2015.'

Dear Ruby,
Our week has been filled with runny noses, hacking coughs, loss of sleep and so many books. I knew as soon as I felt that scratchy feeling at the back of my throat that this was where our week was heading. But instead of lamenting the challenges that this has brought, I am choosing to celebrate the precious moments that come out of the change in our rhythm and health. I have learnt that the best way to settle you back to sleep in the early hours of the morning when you have woken from your coughing is to sit with you in the rocking chair. Yesterday morning we slept like this for three hours and I treasured that time where you were peaceful, sleeping snugly on my lap with your legs wrapped around my waist. I know that all too soon, you will have grown so much that we won't be able to sit like this anymore. Your long legs will spill over the edges of the chair, and we will have to find a different way to cuddle in comfort when you are poorly.
We have started going on evening walks this week. Just before dusk, we walk along our road. You and I both thrive on this opportunity to stretch our legs and fill our lungs with fresh air. It provides the perfect interlude between our afternoon reading time and dinner, and I love talking with you about all of the things you point to. The stoney gravel that covers our neighbours' driveways holds great appeal, but the house you love the best is the one with the wonky concrete slope that provides you with a tiny hill to climb. If I let you, I am certain you would walk up and down this garden path too many times for me to count. Here's to finding more daily traditions that help us thrive.
All my love,
Mama xxx

Comments