500 Cakes of Summer

Last week, as I set about gathering some ingredients to bake cupcakes with, I realised that I am down to my last few cupcake cases. This felt like cause for a miniature celebration, because those cupcake cases represent the work of this Summer. Back in July, I had purchased 500 cupcakes cases to fuel an idea to run a virtual pop up bakery via Facebook during August. I had no idea if it would be a success or not, but either way, it gave me a good reason to do what I love: Bake.

So, to discover that I only had 10 cupcake cases left was quite exciting. Even though I know that I have baked a lot of cakes in the past month, and I have kept a record of every single one, to tangibly see that I had ploughed through my ample supply of cupcake cases was a fresh reminder of what I have achieved this Summer.

You can see from the photos that chocolate featured highly in my baking, but just to give a rundown of all of the flavours I have baked, here's a little list:

*********************************************************************************

Chocolate cake cloaked in chilli chocolate ganache
Rich chocolate cake, cloaked in chocolate fudge icing
Vanilla cupcakes with white chocolate cream cheese frosting
Chocolate Orange cupcakes
Carrot cake & cream cheese cupcakes
Vanilla cupcakes with a light chocolate fudge icing (recipe found here)
Lemon cupcakes filled with fresh lemon curd, topped with lemon buttercream
Chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate buttercream
Rich chocolate cake filled with salted caramel & chocolate ganache
Very light chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream
Lemon & Raspberry cupcakes topped with lemon & raspberry cream cheese frosting

*********************************************************************************

It has brought me a lot of joy to bake cakes for so many people, and to make some wonderful, unexpected connections as a result. Here's to a future filled with baking many more cakes! Later in the week, I will be sharing a bit more of the story behind my love of baking.

Comments