Burger Buns / Bread Rolls
ingredients (makes 12 buns)
500g strong white bread flour
20g unsalted butter at room temperature
1 egg for glazing
1. Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and gradually combine, either with your hands, or with the dough hook of a freestanding mixer.
2. Once the ingredients have come together to form a dough, knead the dough for 5 - 10 minutes, until it's glossy and stretchy. If your dough is sticky, put a little bit of oil on your hands. If this does not remove the stickiness, add a little dusting of flour to the dough.
3. Lightly oil a bowl and place the kneaded dough into the bowl. Cover with a tea towel to stop the dough from drying out, and leave in a warm place for an hour to double in size. It is fine to leave the dough for up to three hours if you wish.
4. Once the dough has doubled in size, knock the air out of it by folding it in on itself, then shape into round buns. If you are wanting to be precise and have identically sized buns, weigh out the dough into 70g portions before shaping.
5. Place the dough balls onto two lightly oiled baking sheets. Leave a good sized space between them to allow for expansion, but don't worry if they end up touching each other once they have risen, this is not a problem.
6. Place the trays inside plastic bags (or inside a plastic container with a lid, if you have one that is large enough). Ensure that the plastic from the bag is not actually touching the dough.
7. Leave to prove for one hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 5.
9. Once the rolls have risen and doubled in size, remove from the plastic bags, and brush with a little bit of beaten egg.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.