Homemade Humous

I don't know if you've noticed yet, but I have rather a sweet tooth. Hence, the volume of baked goods that feature on this blog. I would always choose dessert over a starter at a restaurant, and whenever hunger strikes, my inclination tends to be to reach for something sweet. I had hoped that having a hungry baby would mean the best of both worlds, as it does for some women, who are able to breastfeed and eat chocolate, and lose weight, thanks to the extra calories used up in keeping a baby alive. Sadly, I am discovering that I do not fit into this category of fortunate women. So, I am trying to resolve to be a bit more prepared when it comes to savoury snacks, in a small effort to eat a bit less sugar when hunger strikes in between meal times. Enter, homemade humous. 
I made humous for the first time the other weekend, when we had lots of people round for lunch, and we wanted to provide snacks while they waited for the main course to be ready. Humous is the perfect dip to accompany crudites, and I figured it made sense to have a go at making it, to create a large volume of it at a lower price than I would pay at the supermarket. So I sent a text to a friend who knows what she is doing when it comes to making humous, and followed her guidelines. Humous is one of those things that is pretty versatile when it comes to quantity and ingredients, providing you have the basics in place. For example, I used a good handful of coriander, as I love the flavour of it, and wanted that flavour to be strong, but you could just as easily omit this, and throw in another herb or seasoning to suite your taste.
ingredients (makes 300g)
1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 x garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
juice of 1-2 lemons
half tablespoon tahini
2 dessertspoons natural yoghurt
slosh of water
slosh of olive oil
salt & pepper
handful of coriander

method
Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until as smooth as you would like it to be. Start with a very small amount of water and oil before you blend, then add a little more of either / both, depending on the consistency.
Serve with carrot sticks, pitta strips, cucumber slices, tortilla crisps, or anything else that's edible and can be dipped! 

Comments