Chocolate Chip Shortbread


I have baked this recipe at least half a dozen times this year, and every time I have made them, I have had every intention of sharing the recipe here But, we have managed to eat the entire batch before I have taken any photos. So this time, I was determined to take some photos. It might have taken me three days from making the dough to actually baking and photographing it, but I got there in the end.

Normally when it comes to baked goods, homemade wins every single time for me. I am pretty sure this has a lot to do with being raised on home baked goods, which just taste so much better than shop bought cakes, that have a whole load of added preservatives. However, when I tasted Costo's chocolate chip shortbread a few years back, I was smitten, and as much a I wanted to replicate the recipe, I wasn't convinced my shortbread would ever taste as good as theirs. The problems with Costco's shortbread are two-fold:

1) You have to be a member at Costco.
2) They only sell their choc chip shortbread in packs of 24 (approx). And that is just plain dangerous because it requires a whole lot of self control to not keep eating just one more.

But this recipe? It hits the mark perfectly. I would go as far to say I love these just as much as the Costco shortbread. Perhaps even a little bit more, because they fill my home with beautiful smells, as well as tasting delicious. They might not be as beautifully uniform in size and shape as Costco's, but that only really matters for the short time you are admiring them before popping the buttery goodness into your mouth, so I think I can get over that.

ingredients
225g / 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
120g / 3/4 cup icing (powdered) sugar
370g / 2 1/3 cup plain (all purpose) flour
150g / 1 cup dark (semi-sweet) chocolate chips

method
1) Beat the butter until creamy.
2) Gradually mix in the icing sugar, sieving as you go. The consistency will be crumbly.
3) Gradually add in the flour until incorporated.
4) Stir in the chocolate chips.
5) Either squish the mixture together into a log shape, wrapped in cling film, or press the mixture into a tin.
6) Chill in the freezer for 30 mins. Or in the fridge for a little longer. The dough will last in the fridge for a few days if you don't want to bake it immediately.
7)  Preheat the oven to 160C / gas mark 4 / 320F. If you made the dough into a log, cut into 1cm thick slices then place on a greased baking tray. If you pressed the dough into a tin, just place it straight in the oven and bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the shortbread is turning golden at the edges.

Comments