chocolate twister bread

The first time I made this sweet bread, it brought someone to tears. Before that moment, I never knew that food could bring such enjoyment to people. I had tasted food so good that I never wanted the meal to end, and cakes so delicious that I knew I would never tire of them, but tears? This was new to me. That moment was eight years ago, and last weekend, I finally got around to making it again.

This bread is a little bit ludicrous. It uses a whole lot of yeast, shed loads of butter, and is completely stuffed to the hilt with chocolate. Halfway through making it, I felt that slathering on 250 grams of butter, was a step too far in making this bread awesome, so I reduced the quantity to 60 grams. In hindsight, this wasn't quite enough, but I reckon 125 grams would have been the perfect happy medium between a healthy amount of butter and a heart attack inducing amount of the beautiful gold stuff.

I have reduced the amount of salt and butter in the ingredients list, as I felt they were a bit over the top. If I made them again, I think I would omit the pine nuts, and possibly replace them with hazelnuts. If you prefer food without nuts, then you could quite happily omit nuts altogether.

ingredients
3 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
30g honey or sugar
625ml tepid water
1kg strong white bread flour
20g salt
60g pine nuts
300g chocolate (I used a mixture of dark and milk)
60g - 120g unsalted butter (use more or less, depending on how buttery you'd like the bread to be)

method
1) Dissolve the yeast and honey in a measuring jug with 300ml of the tepid water.
2) Put the flour and salt n a large mixing bowl, make a well in the centre, and add the yeasty water.
3) Slowly combine the flour and water, either with your hands, a spoon, or your mixer blade.
4) Combine in the rest of the water
5) Knead the dough for 5 - 10 mins either by hand or with the blade hook of your mixer. (If kneading by hand, knead for longer (10 mins) than with a mixer.)
6) See the photos below for the rest of the instructions!
7) Preheat the oven when you start to prove the dough for a second time

Comments