chocolate chip cookie sticks

When Friday evening rolled around, I had no inspiration for cooking dinner, so I baked a batch of cookies instead. I consider it a very good thing that I married a brilliant cook, otherwise my diet would be far worse off and cookies for dinner would probably be far too common for my waistline to handle. So, while John came to the rescue with dinner, I got to work on the cookie dough. 

I found this recipe on My Baking Addiction's blog and loved the idea of switching the regular cookie shape for sticks. Aside from being a fun alternative, they require a little less work than rolling out circular ones. Not that I consider rolling cookie dough to be arduous work, but if you're in a hurry, making cookie sticks will save you a few precious seconds. 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Sticks (slightly adapted from the original recipe)
ingredients
125ml vegetable oil
50g crunchy peanut butter
100g caster sugar
100g dark brown sugar
1 free range egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
225g plain flour
half tsp bi-carbonate of soda
200g dark chocolate, cut into chunks or regular choc chips

method
1) Preheat oven to 180C / gas mark 4 and grease a large baking tray
2) Mix the oil, peanut butter, sugars, egg and vanilla in the bowl of your freestanding mixer / large mixing bowl. 
3) In another bowl, combine the flour and bi-carb. 
4) Gradually add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and mix until well combined. 
5) Fold in the chocolate chips and divide dough in half.
6) On the prepared baking tray, shape each portion into a rectangle with a little bit of space to spread.
7) Bake in preheated oven for 6-7 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes. Cut with a serrated knife into 1 inch strips while cookies are still warm then remove to wire racks to cool completely. Or eat before they get cold, depending on how you like your cookies!
Baking Notes: These were beautifully chewy and incredibly moreish. The peanut flavour was very subtle and using crunchy peanut butter added a lovely little crunch. I went a bit overboard with the chocolate - could easily have used half as many - but I loved the chocolateyness.

Comments