731 days of marriage

Today is our 2nd Wedding Anniversary. The brilliant man I married planned a surprise adventure to Thorpe Park. I was equal parts excited and terrified when I realised that we were going to spend our anniversary at a theme park. Aside from Universal Studios, I cannot remember the last time I went to a theme park. Suffice to say, I am not exactly accustomed to being swooshed around, shot up in the air and accelerated at great speed, and every ride had me screaming at the top of my lungs. My initial coping mechanism was to shut my eyes so that I couldn't see what I was about to experience on the first ride - The Saw:
Gosh it makes my head feel funny just looking at that photo! On each ride that followed I got a little better at opening my eyes, but I was quite happy with not seeing anything. After lunch, I was even more daunted by the rides than before lunch, and it took a lot of convincing from John to get me to go on Stealth. This ride is very short and ridiculously fast, accelerating from 0 to 80 miles an hour in less than 2.3 seconds, taking you up an enormous loop over 200ft in the air. Even though you know that as soon as the starting light goes from red to green, you will be going very, very fast, it is just impossible. See?
Not quite the happy expressions we were making on our wedding day, but expressions that express exhilaration, excitement, trust, fear and adrenaline, all in one go. When I told a good friend that we were spending our anniversary in Thorpe Park, she commented, '...Maybe an illustration of marriage!' I couldn't have put it better myself.

Comments

  1. I definitely have a love-hate relationship with theme park rides. It's that anxious feeling I get right before the ride starts that I wish would leave me alone!

    Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment