As school has picked up quite a pace over the last few weeks, things on this little space of mine have slowed. While in part this is simply the natural ebb and flow of life in action – of letting some things take greater priority – there is something more to my quietness here that I have been trying to find the words to communicate for some time.

Lately I have been thinking about what it looks like to blog with intention. I wanted to develop more of a rhythm to the things I blogged about here, so started doing regular photowalks and Foodie Fridays. While in some respects this helped me with getting posts written and sometimes scheduled ahead of time, the depth of content that I see in so many blogs felt distinctly lacking.

After reading one of Jessi’s posts where she mentions how she started to blog when it was all about writing, it got me thinking about why I blog. There are a few reasons, some I feel are far more evident in my blog content than others:

1)      I love to take photos and blogging is a wonderful way of documenting my life in photos that is far quicker than printing out physical photos
2)      I love to bake and I like to think about looking back in many years to come at the different kinds of baked goods I was baking – to see how my baking habits change and evolve.
3)      I like to write.

I feel this last reason has been the one which has been most lacking lately. There really is very little depth to the words I write. The blogs I love the most are those which encourage me in my faith, inspire me, and are written by people who clearly have a level of wisdom about living in a way that honours God and makes much of him. I recently watched this video (and wept at the power of love in action), and at the end, read these words:

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.

The words hit my heart as I read them and their truth sunk in. I really believe that the deep satisfaction that there is to be found in God comes out of knowing Him. Not just knowing of God or about God, but knowing His truth in our hearts through time spent with Him in prayer and reading the Bible. I know in my own life that any frustration or dissatisfaction I have with God is to do with an attitude in my own heart that is not in line with God’s Truth, and therefore misses the reality of who God really is. And this is what I want to write more about – the love of God that I know deeply and long to know more of.

One of the Bible passages John and I chose to be read at our wedding was this:

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 1 John 4 v 7 – 10.

While this blog is a means of documentation for me, my desire is to bless those of you who read my words in some small way, and share what I know of God’s great love with you –whether that’s in taking photos that capture some of the beauty that I see – or sharing Scripture that it might bring you encouragement – what I know is that the greatest gift I have ever received is the love of Jesus – and that is something worth sharing. 

Comments