Foodie Friday / Melting Moments

When I started the Foodie Friday series a few weeks ago, I mentioned that I wouldn't always be blogging about sweet sugary foods. Well, I'm afraid that this week I am still on a sugar run, and the savoury recipe blogging is going to have to wait just a little longer. Continuing with the biscuit theme, I decided to bake melting moments, also known as viennese whirls.
I have to admit that I have thought twice about blogging about these melting momemts. They were a mixed blessing of totally delicious, but a nightmare to push through the piping bag in order to create their swirly nature. When it came to piping the dough, I had serious deja vu from the time I made lemon cloud cookies. I thought there was a serious chance of bursting a blood vessel or splitting my sturdy piping bag down the seams with the effort it took to push the dough through the nozzle. I resorted to the same method I used with the the cloud cookies - I put the filled piping bag in the oven to try and soften the dough. While this worked to an extent, it made the piping bag disgustingly greasy, which created a new challenge when trying to pipe.

So, by the end of baking these, I felt determined to adapt the recipe to find a way of creating a more pipeable consistency of dough, and then share the adapted recipe here for your benefit and my future reference. I haven't managed to try these again this week but decided to blog about them any way to document the journey to finding the perfect melting moments recipe.

Melting Moments {from the Great British Bake Off}
ingredients
250g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
60g icing sugar (confectioner's)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
350g plain (all purpose) flour
60g cornflour

for the filling
125ml milk
2 tbsp plain flour
125g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
jam (raspberry or strawberry)

method for the biscuits
1. Beat together the butter and icing sugar until fluffy.
2. Add vanilla extract and combine.
3. Sift in the cornflour and plain flour and mix until combined.
4. Spoon mixture into piping bag and pipe 32 swirls of the mixture onto greased baking sheets.
5. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes
6. Preheat oven to 180C / gas mark 4 / 350F
7. Bake the biscuits for 12 mins or until very lightly golden around the edges.
method for the filling
1. In a saucepan, heat the flour and milk, whisking constantly until the mixture boils and thickens.
2. Pour the sauce onto a plate and loosely cover with cling film to stop a skin forming. Leave to cool completely.
3. Beat together sugar and butter for about 4 mins (with electric mixer, longer by hand!)
4. Add the milk sauce and mix until light and creamy.
5. Add vanilla extract then cover and chill until it's firm enough to pipe. (I skipped this stage and the filling was a little on the 'loose' side!) 
6. Assemble the biscuits by spreading a layer of jam on half of the biscuit bases then pipe a swirl of the filling onto the remaining bases and sandwich the two together.
7. Enjoy the lovely light texture of these melting moments while sitting down to rest after all your hard work!

Comments