books books books

Can you remember the first recipe book you ever owned? Mine cost me 25p from a second hand book shop (the same one mentioned in this post). I bought it on one of the many occasions that my Dad decided to pop in on our way somewhere. It was back in the day when I went through a funny phase of not being bothered by books, and so was nicely surprised when I stumbled across a book about cake. A book that talked my language. It was by Mary Berry, who I knew nothing of at the time, but I now realised she is the Queen of Cakes, so to find one of her gems of a book for pennies was like finding a hidden treasure.

Well, my recipe books were in need of a sort out. I am grateful to have ample cupboard space for them all, but it was get a little dangerous, each time I opened up the cupboard, I put myself at risk of being knocked out by a great weight of books. So yesterday, when I arrived home from my training course (more on that later today), feeling inspired & motivated, I blitzed the cupboard.

I couldn't help but take a couple of photos of my book stash - there are so many books that it would've been unsafe to put them all in one pile.

There are all sorts of treasures here: 

a selection of vegetarian cookbooks from my 9 years of vegetarianism 
a book stashed with recipes I have accumulated from here, there & everywhere
books purely about chocolate
books about baking with vegetables
a couple of Tessa Kiros books that I have spent literally hours reading, where there is story after story of food & family
charity shop books
presents from friends & family who endorse my love for baking
a war time baking book (bridal shower present)
collection of recipes from friends for my bridal shower, compiled by the wonderful Hannah 



The list could go on & on. I love the history behind books, and hope that someday I will be able to pass these treasures on to loved ones.

Comments