wedding of the weekend / part 1

On Friday, I gave you a little peek at what was keeping me occupied, so it is only fair that I show you the finished products. A friend who I have known for as long as I can remember got married yesterday to his beautiful bride, and they asked me to bake some cupcakes to serve as refreshments at their wedding.

I settled on three different varieties:

chocolate fondant cupcakes {Hummingbird Bakery recipe}
carrot cake cupcakes {James Martin recipe}
black bottomed cupcakes {Hummingbird Bakery recipe}

I used our church kitchen for the baking, as it allows me to bake far more cupcakes than I could fit into our oven, and it gives me a lovely amount of working surface to spread out on. The only drawback to baking somewhere other than my own kitchen is that I need to take everything with me, and this tends to mean that for all of the dozens of ingredients & pieces of equipment that I remember, there is always something I forget. This time round, it was oil for the black bottomed cupcakes. So I went to buy some, and it wasn't until I got back to the church that I realised I had been running around Bristol (quite literally) with my cardigan on inside out. How embarrasing. 

Thankfully, my inability to dress properly did not affect the cakes in any way.

thick chocolate leaves, dusted with gold lustre dust

The wedding was an hour and twenty minutes drive away, and I was quite worried that the cupcakes might bump around a bit, but amazingly, none of them sustained any damage. I didn't manage to find time to have lunch before the wedding, but I did eat two of these cupcakes before dinner was served at 5.30pm, and they filled me up perfectly. I'll be sharing some photos from the wedding tomorrow, so be sure to pop by to see the lovely bride & groom.

p.s sorry for the poor photo quality - it always seems to be that when I do a big bake, I finish in the evening, and end up with no opportunity to photograph my creations in good old natural light - hence the flash shadows.  

Comments