netball.

Last night I played in a netball match. This is the first match I have played in about 10 years. I was trying to remember the last time I played, and I honestly can't remember if I stopped playing team sports during sixth form, or once I'd finished GCSE. Either way, ten years is a looooong time, but I love that my body remembers how to play. 


I have really missed the opportunity to play team sports since leaving school. At university, sports teams were only accessible to people who had hundreds of pounds to spare, which I did not. It's funny to think that running became my exercise companion in the absence of people, and has remained an almost constant companion in the last seven years. 


At school, I always played the position of wing attack, or wing defence, but when the staff at school started netball training at the start of this academic year, I ended up getting the chance to be goal shooter. Much to my surprise, I can actually score goals! 


The team we played against last night are league players, and have played countless games together as a team, so we knew we didn't really stand a chance of winning, but our spirits were still running high, in light of almost definite defeat. It all felt very serious when the captain of the opposite team (who used to play for England) came round to check we had removed all rings and earrings, and that our nails were an appropriate length. 


By the fourth quarter the score was 22-5 to the other team. We made it our aim to get to 10 goals by the end of the match. With three seconds to go, I had one final chance to shoot, and BAM, I got it in, scoring my 4th goal of the match! So we ended up scoring 11 goals as a team, beating our 10 goal aim. Hooray! 
I cannot wait for the next match.

Comments

  1. awesome. netball was probably the last team game I played too, with a similar result - I think we lost every game.
    Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job handling the pressure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment