colour in circles.

While we were in London during half term, I was browsing the pretty shops of East Dulwich in search of some new notecards, and came across a set by an artist called Angela Vandenbogaard. I was so inspired by her work & the way she uses circles to create stunning trees that I decided to have a little go myself when I got home.

In all honesty, I can't remember the last time I picked up a piece of paper & pencil to create something. I used to get a lot of enjoyment from drawing & painting (although I would often tear up what I had created to give it an entirely different look, as I was never totally happy with the final product), but these days most of my creativity is expressed in photography, baking or sewing. There was something wonderfully relaxing about drawing lots of little circles - in fact - I was so relaxed that I had fallen asleep by 8pm! 

We didn't have any watercolour paints, so I experimented with John's watercolour pencils. It felt so counter intuitive to be dipping a pencil in water in order to make it work. 



While the outcome is not perfect, the colours make me smile, and as we say so often in Early Years Education, it's not about the product, it's about the process.

I took a photo of the whole tree, but when it came to blogging it, the photo showed up all of the wonderful imperfections so clearly that I lost courage to show the whole thing, hence the cropped shot. I suppose there is still that part of me that is never totally happy with the finished product...


Comments

  1. It's beautiful Hannah. This is a nice blog post. Thank you. When is something ever a finished product?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had a look at Angie's blog and her work is gorgeous.... however for a second her pictures did remind me of those colour blind eyesight cards? Do you know the one's I mean?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your lovely and encouraging comments : )
    Hannah, yes I do know what you mean about the colour blind test cards! Although I always thought they were pretty too and was very happy to take the test if it meant I got to enjoy lovely colour collections!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment