my father



This weekend we celebrated my Granny's 90th birthday. When as many family members had gathered together in one room as possible, my Dad made a little speech, thanking everyone for coming, and sharing heartfelt feelings towards his mother, and the blessing she is to so many people.

As my Dad spoke, I watched him with pride filling my heart, and wondered at how these feelings come full circle. As a child, I hoped to make him proud, and treasured his comments towards me that expressed his love and pride. Now, as an adult, I know that I am able to feel proud of him, because of all that he has taught me.

I remember coming to the realisation that my Dad went to work faithfully every day without complaint, so that he could provide for our big family, and thinking with awe that there must be days where he didn't feel like going to work, but he did anyway, because he cared for us. He has taught me a lot about loyalty, faithfulness and steadfastness, for which I am truly grateful.

Because of my Dad, I felt secure in going travelling to the other side of the world by myself at the tender age of 19, because he trusted me & wanted me to go on adventures. When other parents asked if my parents were worried about me, I knew that I could honestly say that they knew that whatever might happen, I would learn lifelong lessons on my adventures, and they did not want me to be hindered by any fears of their own. I can only imagine that this is one of the hardest things about parenting, knowing your own weaknesses & not wanting to impart them on to your own children. I am so thankful that my parents encouraged me to be independent, even when that meant learning the hard way.

Because of my Dad, I am able to laugh at myself & my shortcomings. Because of my Dad, everytime I hear Fleetwood Mac, REM or Genesis, I think of his record collection that I used to spend hours looking through & playing.

Because of my Dad, I went to university to study a degree in Early Childhood Studies, not knowing what jobs might be available to me at the end of it, but trusting in his wisdom that it would be a truly valuable experience for me.

Because of my Dad, I felt calm and secure on my wedding day, knowing that I had his full blessing & support in marrying John. I loved that I had his arm to hold on to as I walked down the aisle

Thank you Dad, for being our provider, our role model, our teacher, our Father. Thank you for your faithfulness to our family, and most of all, thank you for entrusting us to our Heavenly Father.

Comments