the kindness of strangers

Sometimes it feels like my memory does not serve me particularly well. On this occasion I am thinking with regard to Winter from one year to the next. I don't know about you, but we have had a whole lot of ice & frost here in Bristol over the last couple of weeks. I don't remember having so much before, and people are saying we haven't seen frosts like this in years. So anyway, the ice is a hazard. A big, dangerous hazard. Yesterday, I fell off my bike on the way to work. Twice. In the space of 15 minutes. And it hurt. And I cried like a school girl who's fallen over in the playground.

On both occassions, someone came running to see if I was alright. The first time, a neighbour (yes, that is right, I had been on my bike for two seconds after leaving my house before falling off) came running out in her pyjamas and a coat to see if I was ok. She heard my cries from inside her house! Yes, that is also right. I am not shy of sitting in the middle of the road, crying. Apparently the last time she fell off her bike, she nearly ended up in the docks, but was saved by a wheelie bin. Slightly more dramatic than my fall.

Needless to say, after falling off a second time, I turned up at work in a bit of a sorry state and rather bruised and sore. I got offered two cups of tea. Seriously, what is so good about this drink that, to me tastes like soil, that means that it is fit for every eventuality? I don't get it.

I was really thankful to those women who showed a little bit of compassion. There are a lot of people who wouldn't have bothered, and who would have been embarassed by my tears and sobbing.

Comments